Linux as Backoffice...

Hi,

There's this friend of mine who keeps bragging about how good Windows
machines are and I was counter arguing with him (as usual)

There is one point at which he stumped me, he said he uses his normal
Windows 98 machine as a Backoffice...
He says and did show me a demo of how his machine acts as a answering
machine and how he dials into his machine to retrieve the messages
(even when he is travelling abroad).

Now thats something that really bowled me over, could somebody please
explain the following:
1. What exactly is Backoffice.
2. Is there any way to make a Linux machine do all that?

Awaiting your replies.

~Mayuresh

--
For every human on this planet, there are 7 cockroaches.
More numbers do not mean intelligent life,