Re: Linux as Backoffice...

> There's this friend of mine who keeps bragging about how good Windows
> machines are and I was counter arguing with him (as usual)
   Too tough to convince a Windows freak eh ;-)

> 1. What exactly is Backoffice.
	IMHO, the word has more to do with MS technologies than with any *office*
paradigm. Basically, a Backoffice can be explained as an office that you
leave back at your place when you're away. Replete with a cool secretary and
*virtual* staff.

> 2. Is there any way to make a Linux machine do all that?
           Of course yes ! See, this has nothing to do with the kernel etc.
It requires code. I am not so sure about the voice part, although there are a
lot of 3rd party utils claiming to offer voice for Linux. The telephone
operator can be easily configured using the typical mgetty proggy. In fact,
there's an entire HOWTO for this purpose. This config is really very easy,
and you can even schedule faxes, Fax-on_demand etc. from your Linux
server/box. I remember configuring my box this way using an article in PC
Quest a couple of years ago. Look for the article @ www.pcquest.com/linux.

	I hope I help you somewhat   :)

BTW , *very OT*, I make noise 52% of the time ! So gotta think about
including lesser portions of original mail  ;-)

Regards,
Saurabh Garg

--
The best way to save Microsoft from shame is to stop using Windows.