Re: Re: downloaders for linux

On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 11:26:05AM +0530, Atul Chitnis typed:
> On Fri, 23 Mar 2001, Biju Chacko wrote:
>
> > Will they be downloaded parallely or serially?
>
> Serially. Unless you have reasonably high bandwidth and are downloading
> from different sites, parallely serves no purpose epart from slowing down
> the downloads.

My experience has been different though. When I have a single download
going, I never get the full possible bandwidth from my connection and
the total throughput seems to go up with each additional download that I
add. (Peaks at about 4/5 sessions).

> > While on the topic -- can wget do stuff akin to Getright's segmented
> > downloads? That is, download different parts of the same file from
> > multiple FTP sites? I don't know whether this actually makes a
> > difference...

WebDownloader for X (aka nt) version 1.2.1 which I've been using for the
past couple of months is capable of doing all this. i.e simultaneous
downloads of multiple files as well as download of a single file in
multiple segments. It really rocks.

Kala