Re: Free software...

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Sandip Bhattacharya wrote:

: On Tue, Mar 20, 2001 at 09:39:34AM +0530, Raju Mathur merrily said:
: > Cool, just remove all the bullshit aka GNU-licensed software from your
: > Linux box and live happily ever after.
:
: You misunderstand me once again, Raj. GNU is the foundation for

I believe, Raju understood you in the right perspective.

: most of the opensource that I see around the world. GNU has
: produced a lot of good work. It is the philosophical baggage that
: piggybacks on this software that makes me feel so tired ...

GNU doesn't compel you to gulp all the philosophical baggage, nor
anyone else. You have every freedom to ignore it as anyone else. But
when you say it is bullshit, others who believe in will surely tell
you why it is not. When you make a statement in public, be prepared to
hear what others have to say about it, dont get tired when it is
your turn to listen to.

: When I use GNU software or any other licenced software, I respect
: that licence, I do. But getting treated to a lecture of "Free"dom
: and (bulldozed) into giving back to the society ... (i am feeling
: tired again).

Ha ha, who is that gentleman lecturing before you as soon as you start
using a GNU software, I am curious.

: Man has his motivations ... self gratification being one of them.
: I try as much as is within my capacity to "give back to the
: society". Doing so gives me some "self-gratification" which is the
: incentive.

That's surely great about you. Please continue that and dont bother
about what others do.

: But when I am forced to give something back to the society,

Who has forced you to give back to the society? You alone can force
you to do that if you have the right sense of social responsibility.

: some of this incentive rubs off. It's like school time -
: I could be good and get smiles and pats for that. But if you
: *force* me to be good, it is no longer fun anymore ...

Nobody can force you do a social good, let alone GNU. Those who want
to serve the community will do that silently, they least bother about
the bickerings.

: Forgive me...I have had a long day ;)

You're not alone, that is the case with most of us here.

--
Radhakrishnan
I have signed it at http://FreeDevelopers.Net/freedomdec, did you?