Re: [Announce] BAngalore Debian & GNU Enthusiasts (BADGE)

Atul Chitnis rearranged electrons thusly:

> On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> > Booting someone from the list (especially for a flamewar) is not trivial at all
> > - you are right on that.

> Ahem, "flamewar"???? Please, call it by its correct name - which is
> "personal vendetta".

First, I was not condoning RagOO's remarks re Swati, which are definitely rude
and uncalled for.  Also, I was responding to (and basically agreeing with)
Raju's comment there.

> > There should never be any precedent for what must be decided (ALWAYS)
> > on a case by case basis.

> What's good for the goose, is good for the gander. What you are
> effectively saying is "banning someone for willfully and repeatedly
> breaking the rules should not set a precedent", meaning that rules are no

Never said that.  Please note the "case by case basis" there.  Rules exist -
and are generally followed.  However, violations of netiquette / the list's
charter etc are unique in themselves.  Hence using incidents as precedent is
not generally advisable.

Thaths has been quite prompt re taking action against violations on this list.
However, he has never been trigger happy while exercising his prerogative as
list admin - I respect him for that.  In this case, I'm confident he'll take
the right decision.

	-s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org
"What separates normal people from kooks is how they react when people disagree