Re: Experience the New Windows

Biju Chacko [Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 10:16:03PM +0530]:

> On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 05:55:01PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
> >If linux was a car, it'd be for people who want to get their hands stained with
> >oil and grease - it's a muscle car, not a rolls royce.

 That's the case right now ... despite all the user-friendly interfaces (kde,
 gnome, whatnot)

> You'll notice you're hard pressed to find a muscle car anywhere outside a
> classic car show. On the other hand, japanese-style no-maintainence required

 I did notice, and was anticipating this response, sort of :)

> Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, Camaros, Thunderbirds and the grandaddy of
> 'em all -- the Shelby Cobra. However, I drive ( badly :-) ) a Maruti.

 You got yourself a car?  great :)

> For all of you who are missing (or dont want) the analogy -- I am basically
> saying that unless you want Linux to stay a niche OS that ultimately withers
> away you *must* adapt it to suit the masses.

 Take Mac OS X for example - a BSD-ish OS, so much so that people are compiling
 mutt on it, and it comes with bash, zsh, perl, lots of gnu tools and whatnot.
 It still retains the user friendliness of the old macs.

 Not a bad concept - mating a very high degree of user-friendliness with a BSD
 style OS.

 	-s

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org
"What separates normal people from kooks is how they react when people disagree