Re: Experience the New Windows

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 05:55:01PM +0530, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:
>If linux was a car, it'd be for people who want to get their hands stained with
>oil and grease - it's a muscle car, not a rolls royce.

You'll notice you're hard pressed to find a muscle car anywhere outside a
classic car show. On the other hand, japanese-style no-maintainence required
family cars are everywhere. Even the guys who made muscle cars are making cars
like that.

Don't get me wrong, I love Mustangs, Camaros, Thunderbirds and the grandaddy of
'em all -- the Shelby Cobra. However, I drive ( badly :-) ) a Maruti.

For all of you who are missing (or dont want) the analogy -- I am basically
saying that unless you want Linux to stay a niche OS that ultimately withers
away you *must* adapt it to suit the masses.

The mass market is Linux's next battle and if we don't fight it we stand to lose
the war. All of you who are waxing nostalgic about Linux as a geeks-only OS are
the ones who are the geatest danger. Ol' Uncle Bill can just stand around and
wait for us to shoot ourselves in our collective foot.

Biju

Biju Chacko        | biju@xxxxxxxxxxx (work)
Exocore Consulting | biju_chacko@xxxxxxxxx (play)
Bangalore, India   | http://www.exocore.com