Re: Congrats to Nagendra VU2CLN

Hi Nagendra!

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 11:29:18AM -0800, Nagendra, VU2CLN merrily said:
> > http://www.angelfire.com/geek/rms/
> comeon people stop bickering/flaming over license and do some REAL work
> for a change and contribute to the community, I don't see even a dozen
> people active from india on the OpenSource/Linux Authoring side anywhere
> ? , when somebody here(ReadersDigest) came searching for names we
> couldn't find atleast one(or few) guy who is a resident of india and was
> doing something serious!

You have done us all proud, by being one of the few quality
contributors to the Open Source movement. But please. Licence does
matter. And this goes for Tarique too. GPL is not always the answer. I
know more than half the folks here will be at my throat for that.

Honestly, I am only going by Tarique's description of your work. I use
PHP in my work too. Your licence means, that just because i want an
upload interface, I have to make my whole application GPL, regardless
of how large, complicated, resusable my product is. Apps can be made
GPL, because
they are enduser programs. Any company planning to use them are saving
on R&D time. They can pay for it by making their derived programs
GPL. But library programs are better off LGPL or Apache or
BSD. Otherwise, no commercial folks would use them(unless that IS your
intention).

> can have look/mod some years from now it ok.I am just proud to be one of
> the few opensource authors here :-)

You should be. Wish there were more of you folks around. Hope to
follow in your footsteps soon. ;)

--
Sandip Bhattacharya