Re: Experience the New Windows

On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

> What we need is a "linux india" distro, which has
>
> 1. out of the box support for SiS / i810, YMF724 sound cards (etc etc)

and strange CDROM drives and network cards that don't transfer data, and
the HP610c and epson stylus 220 printers et al. and also different types
of tape drives being used by cottage computer-firms across the country

> 2. an "internet settings" wizard (kppp can be patched for this) which has out
> of the box entries for vsnl, satyam, eth, bplnet etc (about a dozen of the
> major ISPs) <= kde2 kppp's internet accounting has an entry "vsnl" - not tried
> it yet though.

Wvdial is cool too. I thought connecting to internet was as simple as
<uparrow> + <enter> but then I discovered a dock applet in
windowmaker. Now it's a click to connect and another to disconnect. Guess
that can be ported to the other window managers too. (and it shows the
connect time !-)

> 3. A set of startup scripts / default configs customized for extra
> user-friendliness

so proftpd/portmap/nfsserver/inn don't start automatically but
sendmail/wwwoffle/lpd do (with "auto" configured config files)

> 4. ReiserFS (if possible) - thanks to frequent powercuts being disastrous to an
> ext2fs

possible (I can't dream of ext2 anymore). (As a bonus the patches always
seem to work)

> 5. Apps with local language support (tamil, devanagari etc) by default

Swapan is already working on that (but may appreciate some help)

> 6. [anything else] :)

Anybody got emacspeak to work (I don't know if vim speaks yet but joe
certainly doesn't)

> This has been discussed up, down and sideways.

(Hope ilughyd allows the cc) It's being discussed there since ages

However, if some of us do a
> little more work, I think something can be accomplished and this time, we make
> it a _truly_ Indian linux, instead of the previous Aryan / Aryabhatt linux
> fiascos.

Guess it's possible. After all we aren't even writing or porting code,
just making it more userfriendly by packing it better.

\Indraneel

--
http://www.indialine.org