Re: Experience the New Windows

On Wed, Feb 21, 2001 at 05:50:52AM -0800, dodobh@xxxxxxxxxxx merrily said:
> I agree on this. If you use closed source software, you have to have exactly the same setup that they say. However, it is rare enough if you roll your own apps (and if you don't have the patience to roll them, get the rpms from your distro).

I agree partially here - Java SDKs have alwayz given me lot of heartbreaks whenever i tried to install it on an remote server. The server guys prefer upgrading only the kernel, without upgrading glibc.

But then i said "partially".

I is just not glibc problems. Add libstdc++, krb5xxx, etc, etc. I am a
Redhat user. My home system is a RH6.2 system. Try installing RPMs of
latest stuff from the RedHat 7.0 system. More than half of the
software that i tried to install, refused to do so as they were linked
to n different versions of other libraries. Frustated, by default, i
always build an RPM from an SRPM before upgrading *anything*.

How much is this different from windows?
On windows, you are told - "to install this blah-blah, you need
service-pack blah-blah" or "VCRT-blah-blah". In linux you are told,
you need glibcv-blah blah, or krbvxxx etc.

OFCOURSE i am talking of installing *binaries* here as RPMS. I would
NEVER expect a non-techie user to compile tar.gz or SRPMS. Bah! Ever
seen any windows program that needed compiling before it could be
used? Just imagine people compiling IIS before using it!

We have to admit that linux still has to bridge the road between
reliability and user-friendliness. And lets all see to it that it
reaches there as fast as possible. It has already covered half the
path - reliability!

And don't give other folks the line - "If all you could is crib, why
don't you go ahead and do something about it?". That's like talking
like the "government" - take it or leave it or (ok my analogy is not
that perfect) work at it to make it suitable for you. You don't get
much new followers with lines like that (No, dodobh , i am not saying
it to you - one of the other folks on this thread said that). In fact
it pisses them off real bad. As it is, it's a nightmare for hardened
windoze folks to shift to linux. Comments like that will make it real
repulsive. Criticism should always be welcome. Be a sport yaar! ;)

Regards,
 Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya