Re: Experience the New Windows

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001, Mithun Bhattacharya wrote:

> User experience aka ease of use for a non technical person is something
> most programmers forget and I guess it never was a big thing for people
> making software for Linux till sometime back.

Very true. And until recently it didn't really play so much of a role
since Linux was not yet tagged "mainstream".

But things have changed, and rapidly so. Linux is now rated by its
*current* capabilities, instead of its potential, *especially* in a
non-technical environment.

The time has come for techies to stop building a better mousetrap, or at
least divert resources to building distros and apps that give the average
(and not so average) home user something to be of use without requiring
him to be a believer or propeller-head.

This is not impossible, but *does* require a mindset that is radically
different from the current crop of Linux advocates who are way too
technical-minded.

Atul

Atul Chitnis       | achitnis@xxxxxxxxxxx (PGP:6011BCB8)
Bangalore, India   | +91 (80) 3440397 Fax +91 (80) 3341137