Re: TeX

On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Suresh Ramasubramanian wrote:

: Radhakrishnan C V rearranged electrons thusly:
:
: > The document format is PDF, since it is platform independent and does
: > away with font problems at the user level.
:
: The rest sounds excellent - but may I suggest DocBook or SGML
: instead of PDF? It is easily convertible to several different
: formats, and is reasonably platform independent.

You're right Suresh. But we are communicating with newbies, who are
even afraid of a relatively simpler markup scheme like TeX, let alone
exhaustive markup like DocBook, though all the docs are archived in
TUGIndia as DocBook.

What will be the scenario, if I deliver a TeX chapter on DocBook
SGML/XML, majority of the users will find it a black box that defy
formatting. You need the enormous tree of Norman's DSSSL/XSL scheme,
Jade/XSL processor, nsgmls, etc., people will simply be disinterested.

I entirely agree that in the event of a GNU/Linux Tutorial becoming a
reality, the neutral format of document must be DocBook SGML/XML while
providing a ready to view/print output like PDF or PostScript.

Any thoughts?

By the way, do you find any takers to volunteer the content
generation, coordination, etc. Surely, I will volunteer the documents'
XML, HTML, PDF, TeX formats generation part.

--
Radhakrishnan
GPG Fingerprint: 208E F5EB A4B4 2024 AEE9  575D 13DE E3B9 0292 70EF