Re: Re: setting up mirrors

Pavan K Balellugari rearranged electrons thusly:

> Comments in-line

Ditto

>  for huge files p2p is the worst. but for patchs &
> upgrades it quite usefull.

Excellent. However, most ftp mirrors also give you the md5sum and sign the
packages with the developer's PGP key, which can be verified.  On a p2p level,
this vital safety net is missing.

>  this i guess could happen from anywhere. Code
> obtained from anywhere is unsafe. P2P might give
> another vehicle for this, but i guess could be
> avoided. Also, i am quite confident with Linux
> Security.

Confident abt linux security when you can trust that you are running bind, and
not some rooted modification of bind.

>   i guess currently Gnutella & other open source P2P
> s/w doesn't give u resume or segmented download
> support. I was suggesting that we could see if we
> could add more code.. just a try..

That's one thing which has to be implemented.  But I'd personally not accept
any system binaries / tarballs sent across such a medium.  MP3s etc, OK, fine :)

	--suresh

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian  <-->  mallet <at> efn <dot> org