Re: Linux mirrors in India ?

Suresh,

I understand exactly what you are talking about.

there's a simple fact of life, which bears oft
repeating, because it is so sweet and so true:

If you do not ask, you do not get.
So if you have nothing to lose by asking, by all
means go ahead and ASK !!

That means if you have to ask all the way up to the
PM to get free linux CDs and free linux download
sites  aNd extra bandwidth, you don't sweat over it.
Especially in case of linux - because linux really is
meant to be FREE. Even the government does not have
to spend a rupee apart from distribution costs.
With free source code and all, this stuff is more
powerful than you imagine.

Just to remind us all of the plentiful capacity already,
available, and the IT Taskforce goals, do check out -

http://it-taskforce.nic.in/vsit-taskforce/infdrive.htm

And for emails of some of the people at the top
that you can write to when your access to free
software is not fast enough - (just remember to ask nicely ).

http://it-taskforce.nic.in/vsit-taskforce/member.htm

And for some inspiring words from the PM himself -

http://it-taskforce.nic.in/vsit-taskforce/expts.htm

Unless you ask, IT will again become a case the
haves and have-nots. Everybody should have easy access,
bar none.

Finally, I'm of the opinion that the RECs have more
screaming to do. Their cities are not even on the
DoTs plans for international gateways. There are only
5 or 6 international gateways in the proposed backbone.
Makes we wanna scream !

happy linuxing,
- Ruchir