Re: Linux mirrors in India ?

I've written to a few ISPs, though have'nt heard
back from them yet. This is a catch 22 - the more
popular the free software is, the more bandwidth
saving they'll have. But to make it more popular,
we need some meaningful free download sites.

I'd recommend that other interested people in this
list also write to some of the ISPs (without spamming,
of course). The argument to give them is
more content == more demand == more customers.
Larger content cached locally by the ISP
means that the ISP can provide that content to its
customers without using the uplink bandwidth from
the network carrier. The cost of setting up a few
servers of say 10 Gb for downstream bandwidth is
really small compared to the benefits the ISP gets.
Sooner or later, some of them will see the light.

One good side-effect of having large content locally
available is that it will apply pressure to upgrade
local connectivity in India. Right now most of
the fat pipes require you to traverse the network all
the way to the U.S. and back, which is dumb.
For e.g, I could easily access the IITM mirror, from
here in California, whereas folks in India are having
a hard time.

So do go ahead and ask your ISPs to host the free
software sites. The more copies the better for you,
for the ISPs and for connectivity in India. The less
copies, the better for international carriers at the
cost of Indian ISPs.

- Ruchir