Re: Linux mirrors in India ?

On Tue, 30 Jan 2001, Ruchir Tewari wrote:

->One good side-effect of having large content locally
->available is that it will apply pressure to upgrade
->local connectivity in India. Right now most of
->the fat pipes require you to traverse the network all
->the way to the U.S. and back, which is dumb.
->For e.g, I could easily access the IITM mirror, from
->here in California, whereas folks in India are having
->a hard time.

The ftp site of ilug-bom is at http://ftp.ilug-bom.org.in/, and is
located in India.  Though the site at the moment does have lot of
content, but outdated, with the exception of a few (debian
distribution).  The content was uploaded from the resource CD sets,
with the idea that we will begin mirroring those sites.  We have a hdd
of 17gb only, and we will start including any thing that all of you
feel must to have.  Please send me suggestions, I will begin mirroring
the stuff soon.

I also want to know from you uploading methods so that a few others
can upload content.

Access to this site is pretty good for indian ISP's.  It is located at
TIFR, which has a 2mbps leased line to VSNL.  Please test the access,
and download speed (just to know whether the site will do good for us
if properly maintained.)

Nagarjuna