Re: oracle for linux

I dont think installing oracle is so bad as mentioned by nagendra. But these
are the steps i followed for a sucessufull installation of Oracle 8i.

Hardware Requirements
Minimum 128 MB ram

Software Requirement
1. Linux 6.0 only?.(other versions don?t work??)
2. configure Networking on linux
3. configure X windows and let windows manager be fvwm (kde and gnome does not
   work because of high graphic memory usage)
4. jre_1.1.6-v5-glibc-x86.tar.gz is required other versions don?t work

Configuration

Log on as root
Create a group in linux called dba (use userconf to get this done)
create a user in linux called oracle (use userconf to get this done)
add oracle to the group dba (use userconf to get this done)
specify Oracle home directory and variable in the file (.bash_profile) of
oracle user found in /home/oracle

(this is the contents of the .bash_profile)

#---------------------------------------

# .bash_profile

# Get the aliases and functions
if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
        . ~/.bashrc
fi

# User specific environment and startup programs

BASH_ENV=$HOME/.bashrc
USERNAME=""
export DISPLAY=192.168.1.158:0
export ORACLE_BASE=/tools/app/oracle
export ORACLE_HOME=$ORACLE_BASE/oracle/8i
export ORACLE_SID=itdb
export TOMCAT_HOME=/usr/local/jakata-tomcat/bin/
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$ORACLE_HOME/lib

PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin:$ORACLE_HOME/bin:/usr/local/jre/bin

export USERNAME BASH_ENV PATH

#--------------------------------------------

Logout and log on as oracle
Download jre_1.1.6-v5-glibc-x86 in oracle home directory
Issue the following command for uncompressing and installation of jre (do not
install jre as root user cause during oracle installation it will give you an
error saying no permission
gunzip jre_1.1.6-v5-glibc-x86.tar.gz
tar xvf  jre_1.1.6-v5-glibc-x86.tar

log in as root user and create a symbolic link in /usr/local directory pointing
to /home/oracle/jre_116_v5

ln -s   /home/oracle/jre_116_v5   /usr/local/jre

 Insert the Oracle instalattion cd in your cdrom drive and mount the cd
mount /mnt/cdrom

logout as root and log in as oracle

 change drive to cdrom
cd /mnt/cdrom

run the installer
./runInstaller

follow direction in OUI

next you will be prompted to run /tmp/orainstRoot.sh
log in as root change directory to /tmp and run ./orainstRoot.sh

next follow the OUI

 After the OUI has finished you will be prompted to run the root.sh script

open a xtem window
change to root user
change to the directory where the root.sh script file is existing
give execuatable permissions to this script file (chmod +x root.sh)
execute the file (./root.sh)
continue the installation
at the end of the installation click on exit button and oracle installation is
over
18. After installation of oracle is successful create your database

Arvind

PS read the orcale how to to get an overall idea

On 30-Jan-01 ewiz wrote:
> check out : http://www.arsdigita.com/ad-training/acs-install/oracle
>
> dont even try to install it if you don't have the atleast a weeks of
> free time + food supplies :-), as installing Oracle on Linix is very
> tedious and even after that as if runs like someone is serving ebay from
> you box....
>
> I tried to install that on K6-450Mhz/128Mhz box and found that I had to
> spent 3 days to get the thing right and finally it was dead slow even
> with 128Mhz....guess it required 256mb or more...so it not worth the
> effort...instead MySQL looks/works better now that NASA uses it.
>
> ----
> Virtually yours,
> Nagendra
>
> 73's, VU2CLN, ICQ : 4779564 | nagendra@xxxxxxxxxxxx
>| Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow |
>| Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. |
>| Walk beside me and be my friend - Albert Camus.|
>

> naveed wrote:
>>
>> hi team,
>> i just got a cd's pack from oracle corporation of enterprise edtiion for
>> linux. what are the configuration pre/post install  oracle to make it
>> workable.
>> thanx in adv
>> naveed

> LIG is all for free speech.  But it was created
> for a purpose.  Violations of the rules of
> this list will result in stern action.

LINUX MAKES THE WORLD

E-Mail: rwind4197@xxxxxxxxx
Date: 30-Jan-01