Re: [ot - sort of] spammer bites the dust (goodbye gtcdrom.com)

> Sorry it may be OFFTOPIC to the Linux group.  But in reality, the word
> Internet itself, is unknown to most of the Indian.  Usually whenever i get
> some free time (mostly in sundays) i will go to some govt. schools or
other
> colleges and voluntarily take (awareness) seminars on Internet.  During
these
> time, i have just wondered how ignorant are my fellow countrymen about
> Internet.  The condition is very worst in non-metropolitan cities within
the
> state.  For e.g. if you go to places like thanjavur, tuticorin,
tirunelveli,
> they will simply laugh at you if you tell about Internet because they
don't
> even have proper computer facilities intheir colleges.  Telephone services
are
> still worst.  Most of the college students in these places even don't know
how
> to copy a file in a floppy (well you may say that 9 year old guy is doing
> linux installation - but my dear countrymen, pl. look the rest of the
people
> also).

Good to know that there are people like u doing  such good work for the
poor. There is no better work than enlightening the   students about
opportunities.

> REally speaking Banglinux and IT.COM are not needed for the 90% of the
Indian,
> all they need is to start them, to initiate them with basic stuff
(especially
> poor govt. schools and colleges) and some minimum support fromthe computer
> gurus.  I strongly believe that ILUG can contribute a lot to achieve this
> goal.

Well I disagree with you on the  point, may be I am wrong , but Banglinux
and IT.COM is definetly required for the rest of 10 %  of the population who
are pushing  the country ahead.
But it  is also true that the country cannot progress with  rest  90 %
staggering behind.
Well also in this 10 % of the educated and enlightened lot  we need to
enlighten people about the freedom linux offer as an operating  system .
Most of the literate people I have  in my state (Gujarat)  now nothing but
windows.
For them computer is nothing  but  Intel  *P* (1,2,3) & windows, windows and
windows and nothing but windows . They have not seen  nor heard anything
other than this.
So I belive we should also work on this part  too .

Regards

Sunil Varghese

(Ahmedabad )