Re: [ot - sort of] spammer bites the dust (goodbye gtcdrom.com)

kbk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx rearranged electrons thusly:

> Ofcourse everybody hates Spam! and there are several ways to block it.

They are already blocked from my mailservers on various addresses they use.
This address which they used was not on the block list.

They have also been banned from several LUG lists, as far as I can tell.

> they took risk , and they are doing and I think they will continue) as it is
> not so userfriendly, and even for them they took a long time to switch to

They have not been closed down - their website has.

> LInux from Windows, AFAIK its only about 3 months back.Eventhough LIG boasts
> you can get support for all and always.It is still catching,people who really
> can answer are not answering I think, you cant help.And you all know to what
> expertise institutes teach and Internet can do.

People who can answer _have_ answered the same question multiple times.  A
quick search of the LIH archives (and of google.com) would set your doubts at
rest re that.

> They had supported Linux-India a lot by giving a lot of free CD's by mail,in
> Bang Linux & IT.COM  and sponsored LIG meetings too.The mailing list of them
> is also a request of so many people who want to know recent things from Linux
> and also they written to send them a mail who want to unsubscribe.Since they

... and how about those who _havent_ asked to be on their mailing list, but are
still added to the list without permission?

I was added the first time - complained. They threw a spectacular tantrum about
this (being banned from various linux lists / blocked at the server level) "not
being the proper spirit of linux in india".  This was about a couple of months
ago.  Yesterday, I got spammed at both my personal and work accounts (and I
have _never_ given either address to them).  I reported it to their provider
colossus.net again - and colossus decided to enforce its acceptable use policy,
which forbids its customers from spamming.

> are not technically sound to implement Majordomo or other mailing list
> managers , they adopted one what they knew.

Incompetence / Competence is _not_ an excuse.  If they were not booted from
their provider, they would have ended up in the MAPS RBL blacklist as per
http://www.mail-abuse.org/rbl/candidacy.html

> after they wont find people.Dont think I am talking on behalf of GTCDROM, I
> am only a person talking who is benefitted by those free CD's and promo texts
> and knew after working how better Linux/OpenBSD/FreeBSD is.

 Ask anybody in the local lug and they will generally give you a CD of whatever
 distro - in exchange for a blank cd (and perhaps a beer, if you wish) <g>

> Atleast let them to mail the latest Linux stuff in to LIG mailing list and
> help them in rebuilding and serving Linux users.

 They tried it long back - and were (I believe) put on the watch list due to
 several complaints from members.

> Long live the Linux spirit.

 Cheers! Hic :)

 	-suresh (beer - the official (?) linux drink <g>)

--
Suresh Ramasubramanian + mallet<@>efn.org
  You spamma my mailbox, I nukea da ass