[OT] Is it illegal to use orphanware?

Hi y'all,

I am interested in antique software. I came across some interesting old software produced by a company that got gobbled up in M&A spree of the early/mid nineties.

The purchaser discontinued the product and probably has no revenue from the product.

I came across an installation kit for the software on the website of a fan of the product. I am now wondering whether it is illegal for me to download the software and try it out.

The question is pretty academic because nobody is going to prosecute me. I was just wondering what the legal aspects of using software like this without paying for it.

This also affects the hundreds of job-typing centres that use WordStar on DOS.

regards,

Biju