Re: [OT] Is it illegal to use orphanware?

hmm.. This reminds me of .gif

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Biju Chacko wrote:

> Hi y'all,
>
> I am interested in antique software. I came across some interesting old
> software produced by a company that got gobbled up in M&A spree of the
> early/mid nineties.
>
> The purchaser discontinued the product and probably has no revenue from the
> product.
>
> I came across an installation kit for the software on the website of a fan
> of the product. I am now wondering whether it is illegal for me to download
> the software and try it out.
>
> The question is pretty academic because nobody is going to prosecute me. I
> was just wondering what the legal aspects of using software like this
> without paying for it.
>
> This also affects the hundreds of job-typing centres that use WordStar on DOS.
>
> regards,
>
> Biju

# Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #