Problem woth proxy server.

Hi.. Friends..
I'm Samuel Joy.
I've a problem with the proxy server. Well, I've got the proxy server in
a windows machine and my linux machine is connected to the machine thro'
LAN. Now I'm able to connect to net thro' the my netscape. But can
anyone help me to connect to net without using the browser. Means.. if
I've an application which I'm running from the terminal itself and can
fetch data from the net and doesnt use the help of any  browser for
that.
Could anyone please help. Please respond quickly.
Samuel.