Re: Free Software Company

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

[...]

: Most people want Microsoft to do well, because it is a big component
: of the mutual funds in which their retirement savings go. Unlike India,

You are talking from the US for the people of US, but I am talking from
India, though not within any narrow constraints of fanatic nationalism.
I am yet to see a person in the street here in Trivandrum who wants the
Microsoft to fare well.

: the #1 issue for the Nov presidential election is not morality, freedom
: or anything else. It's the economy.

Not only in the US, in any country the economy is one of the key issues
in an election. I am happy that you have identified the key factors that
shape a nation building process. If a particular methodology can save
our economy, I am for it and as things stand today, free software
movement of all hues and colors have a positive influence in the economy
of this land, unlike in the US where as per you, ordinary man longs to
see his fortunes grow in Microsoft shares.

The downside of your proposition: Can you imagine US voters will still
consider the economy as a key issue, if (as a hypothesis) the freedom of
press is curtailed? Since there are no such issues at the moment,
economy assumes the prime factor. This is the case with India too [see
elections in India during 1977 and 1979].

--
Radhakrishnan