Re: Free Software Company

There is an alternate business model, maybe unfamiliar to Arun, but a
reality that is practiced by many companies around the world. This
model while fulfilling its obligations to the client and the
interests of its employees as well, do a service to the free software
movement.

When a client contracts them to write a software solution, these
companies insist for a clause that the client shall agree for GPL'ing
the software once it is released. Many clients who subscribe to FSF
ideals agree to this and free code becomes a reality even from a
commercial enterprise without breaking any of the ground rules.

Arun need not pay for the development of such a software, but I dont
think he will be resistant to use it for free.

Is there any harm, if such companies or individuals, group of
individuals long to form a global company that can extend this
service to all parts of the world particularly developing nations
like India?

Coming to the other side of the reality: Have you ever thought about
the quantum of presence of or contribution from India in the free
software movement? Almost negligible or near neglible. Do you think
the reasons are lack of intelligence or mind set? No, not at all.
Just think about the XSL, there is only one browser (Internet
Explorer) that functionally supports to a considerable extent if not
fully compliant with the W3C specifications. We have yet to find one
in the free world that supports at least to this extent. I long to
write a module in the Mozilla Project, but as a lower middle class
Indian, I am unable to do it, because, I have a gut and few more in
my home that need to be filled in at regular intervals. But if there
is an outfit that can take care of it, I am all the more balanced to
do the job and my morale will be high.

We must be open to these ground realities that prevail at least in
India. Software engineers or developers in India are part and parcel
of this country's valuable resources and they need not necessarily
consider themselves as unaffected by the realities that shape this
nation.

Take the example of Kerala IT mission. I heard that Rs. 170 crore
has been set aside to automate this state's village level
administrative machinery, that is an extravaganza, squandering of the
exchequer that is extracted from every single rupee expended by even
a coolie of this land. Priorities shall not change unevenly, when
scores of schools in this nation are without teachers, proper
infrastructure, when children are put to labour at a time when they
are to get proper education, public hospitals are without drugs, even
we could not bring pure drinking water to each and every village in
this country.

Why dont we think in terms of getting the functionality of the
software solution (it shall be a priority item, no doubt) at a much
reduced cost when free software has proved beyond doubt its
capabilities, thereby saving the valuable exchequer for similar
priority items. Or should we insist on automating the village
machinery only through spending 170 crores?

Dont you think Free Software Company can contribute in this scenario
taking into consideration of the conditions of an average free
developer in this country?

--
Radhakrishnan