Re: Installation and Setup of Shared Disk/Mirror Disk AND Network Redundancy Problem

On Mon, 11 Sep 2000, Kamaldeep Singh Khanuja spewed into the ether:

> *  Our server configuration is Pentium III processor,
>    12 MB RAM, 17 GB or more local SCSI hard disk and
>    SCSI shared and mirror disk in RAID architecture,
>    17" Color monitor, Floppy drive and CD writer, two
>    NICs.
I assume thats 128MB.

> * Can you please comment on LINUX support above
>   configuration of Shared and  Mirrored disk and
>   It will be good if you could tell me some guidelines
>   for the installation of shared and mirrro disk.
Read the raid howto at http://www.linuxdoc.org . Also go through the
archives of LIH for Rajesh Fowkar's rather long thread on mirroring.

> * Can Network level redundancy (when one network on
>   workstation fails other automatically takes over) on
>   Workstations be achieved using LINUX Network File
>   System (NFS), or we have to use some other mechanism
>   for this.
http://linux-ha.org has lots of details on this, including
implementation stuff. Redhat ships with Piranha for this.

> * Can you tell us whether LINUX has support of D-LINK
>   and CISCO
It does support these.

> * Please suggest the support on LINUX to install the HP
>   CD writer. Whether CD writer device driver comes in
>   built into the Linux or has to be separately purchased
>   for LINUX version.
The CD writer is a separate piece of s/w, but it comes with all major
distros. man cdrecord, and read the CD recording HOWTO at linuxdoc.

This is a topic appropriate for LI help, not LIG, so moving the topic
there.

Devdas Bhagat
--
Patageometry, n.:
	The study of those mathematical properties that are invariant