Linux standards?

Hello,

This is my first mail on this list. First, I must say that it is a very
good idea to have set up a forum where it is possible to discuss other
issues about linux than just technical ones.
I'm also registered in some French (cause I'm French) linux lists and
appearently the linux  communities are structured in the same way: there are
several LUGs,  each working on projects for their region.
Well my question is the following: How is the consistency of linux garantied
when so many different groups work separately?
Is there an international organisation that makes sure that what is produced
by the different LUGs follow some kind of standard?
If not, linux could end up by splitting into various standards, just
as Unix did with Solaris, AIX, BSD ect...

I'm not yet familiar with the whole of the Linux community, so it's just a
naive question.

Ouriel