Re: Linux standards?

On Sun, 10 Sep 2000, Grynszpan Ouriel wrote:

> Well my question is the following: How is the consistency of linux garantied
> when so many different groups work separately?
> Is there an international organisation that makes sure that what is produced
> by the different LUGs follow some kind of standard?

One just started up in finland, with their own distro. See
http://www.bestlinux.org

> If not, linux could end up by splitting into various standards, just
> as Unix did with Solaris, AIX, BSD ect...

There are too many distros but only one standard, and you always have a
choice of distros. And also you have a choice to mix distros and bring out
your own. This is what freedom is about.

\Indraneel

# Indraneel Majumdar                  ¡  E-mail: indraneel@xxxxxxxxxxxx  #
# Bioinformatics Unit (EMBNET node),  ¡  URL: http://scorpius.iwarp.com  #
# Centre for DNA Fingerprinting and Diagnostics,                         #
# Hyderabad, India - 500076                                              #