Re: VCs eyeing Open Source with respect?

On Mon, Jun 19, 2000 at 06:51:59PM +0530, SANIsoft wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the eminent break up of M$ it is rumored the Venture Capitalist are
> eyeing Open Source Web projects with more respect

Actually, since the first week of April, VCs have started asking -
'Show me the money'. Redhat and VA both posted narrower than expected
losses - which helped their stock a little bit. But its getting harder
and harder to get funding the way eazel, opensales.org etc got
during the VC mania of late last year. VCs these days actually ask
questions before they pay :)

So whether open source goes mainstream or not depends little on microsoft,
but more on the ability of open source companies to add value to all
the techie stuff being cranked out. They need to manage some of the
inherent contradictions (you know, the stuff we've been talking about
on this list for a while) well.

	-Arun