[LIH] thought you ppl may be interested

	-> Moving Thread to Linux-India-General (Where it belongs) <-

---
#include <std_disclaimer.h>

All thoughts expressed in this email are *ENTIRELY* those of myself --
I do not work for VSNL/Satyam/ETH/@home/ANY ISP for that matter.
---

    Jiju> relevant portions of a mail send to the webmaster@xxxxxxx

	Wrong guy, IMHO -- Their Helpdesk/Customer Support wasn't that
address -- it was support@eth or helpdesk@eth or *something* like
that, and it was lying around on www.eth.net .. No use sending wrong
complaints to the wrong guy

    Jiju>I had registered as a subscriber with your service and done so

	Incomplete information -- When you post a request/complaint
.. where are all the references? *especially* when you're posting from
an @vsnl.com address? What is your login? (well, you say <snip>'ed
off.. so I *assume* you sent your login in the mail to ETH .. but if
you didn't, trust me that your mail would have ended up in the trash
can by now) .. and yes -- WHAT service? Are we talking about DSL here
or normal Dialup? I shall *assume* you mean Dialup in this context.

    Jiju> getting through, I had to configure fetchmail in my linux
    Jiju> box to check the mail, well I was bluffed, it was showing
    Jiju> some sort of errors. After searching through a bucketfull of

	What Suresh said.

    Jiju> posting this to the linux-india groups too.  He had the
    Jiju> sauce to argue to me that even VSNL or Satyam do not provide
    Jiju> Linux support, well I asked him to log on to

	Haha, somethings never change in this country.

	"A is great because B sucks!" Thats an *absolutely* bullshit way
to argue.. and the argument itself carries *NO* water -- He is *no*
way justified just because VSNL or Satyam sucks, if it does, that is.

	Reminder : I am *assuming* that all this happened, and I don't
myself say that VSNL/Satyam/ETH/ suck/rule and I really couldn't care,
either.

    Jiju> Also your CD cover *does not specify* that the minimum
    Jiju> requiremet is a Windows 95/98 capable machine. Is this what

	So you assumed you can run it on Linux? Yeah, their CD Cover
probably doesn't say you won't get download speeds of 200 GigaBytes/sec.. so?
This is again a baseless argument. Let us assume that their CD Cover
*DID* say "we support foo" and you try out foo and it doesn't work
.. and you can *THEN* bitch about it saying, "you claim foo will work,
and it doesn't! WHY?!" and stuff... but you can't complain for things
they didn't claim.If you re-read the small (fine?) print somewhere
that you probably acknowledge knowingly or unknowlingly, it would
probably say that "We promise no more than what we explicitly
promised, either implied or stated otherwise" or something...

	There is a great share of your fault/mistake on your end too
-- What prevented you from posting to the list or doing some backgroun
d research? I am sure there are many ETH users in here -- I am myself
one, save for the fact I don't pull emails from pop3.eth.net -- Check
my headers and you will note that smtp.eth.net does the relaying for
me.

    Jiju> we users should expect from a top notch company like DSL
    Jiju> with back up from a reputed parent like Sterling?. If you
    Jiju> can support only one OS tell the people that you can do only
    Jiju> that.  <snipped off>

	Face it dude, things like this don't get addressed in
Canada,USA .. If you're really serious/desparate about this, search
"At home + Disappointment" or something like that on Google and you
will see *so* many guys who were *told* that it will "work" and in the
end it didn't and their Customer Support sucked and stuff, and they
couldn't do anything about it -- You realistically think any of this
is going to happen in India? Your email probably got deleted by now --
Re-send it with your login and BAM, the BOFH just might step in, and
disable your account or something -- What will you do after that? Will
you go to a consumer grievances court or something? Think
realistically ...

    Jiju> what do you ppl think of this ? flame me directly at
    Jiju> [digitelnet@xxxxxxxx] and put subject "flames" such that i
    Jiju> can filter those and read at leasure

	No, it is cc'ed to the list because this is addressing a
problem of general nature which is probably likely to affect *many*
people. And a change in subject to "Flames" would look nasty.

	Yes. I know and understand the feeling you are undergoing
right now -- a feeling of let down -- but do let all the "anger" bit
subside, think logically and *PRACTICALLY* and *then* complain in the
"right" way to the "right" guys , should you at all feel the need to
complain -- IMHO, its simpler to patch .fetchmailrc and leave the
thing at that -- I know of some nasty things that happened to some
guys with <INSERT NAME OF POPULAR ISP HERE> -- Well, and that is
madras for you -- they got um, <censored> .... yeah, you get
it.. well, I don't know your Kerala guys do it.. *Shrug*

	Good luck with your effort.

	And hey, do keep me/(us?) posted on what comes up -- I am
overly interested in such matters -- the next time *I* call up my ISP
guys if something blows, It would be helpful if I had some emails from
$rival-isp-user to prove that they are better/worse .. ;)

								--ravi
--
Ravikant K.Rao : http://www.symonds.net/~ravi/
Primary Email  : <ravi@xxxxxxxxxxx> | PGP: 9544A4A1   GPG: 1024D/C2FC752D