Re: Bigotry ?? [was --> Re: What is Linux ?]

Hey,

	A few thoughts from my end.

> royalties for an industry standard format that had been available
> freely for years, only because it holds the IP rights over it (eg.
> Unisys) ?

And why shouldn't it? or rather why can't it charge? Legally if the
company holds the rights it can do what it wants. Instead of whining about
it shouldn't a new standard format (not owned by anybody/developed by a
non profit group) be developed? Didn't the same happen with BSD?

A commercial company exists for the reason of making profits, this is the
essence of capitalism. As long as it tries to make money legally whats the
problem?

The motto of today's Opensource junta seems to be that whatever is closed
source is bad and should become open as soon as possible. Instead
shouldn't the attitude be that "Okay, I'll write the code myself which
does the same thing that your code does and maybe even perform better
,and release it as Opensource."

The user will be manipulated as long as he is not informed. If he wishes
to be manipulated , he will be. If the company is trying to arm twist you
into something, its doing so because it knows your arm can be twisted.
Alternatives always exist, you just have to find it. But don't blame the
companies because you can't find them.

SIGTERM
-rohit
Rohit Sharma rohit@xxxxxxxx
Public Relations Officer,
IEEE K.J.Somaiya college of Engineering Student Branch.