Re: Re: Bigotry ?? [was --> Re: What is Linux ?]

On Sat, 3 Jun 2000, rohit sharma wrote:

> Hey,
>
> 	A few thoughts from my end.
>
> > royalties for an industry standard format that had been available
> > freely for years, only because it holds the IP rights over it (eg.
> > Unisys) ?
>
> And why shouldn't it? or rather why can't it charge? Legally if the
> company holds the rights it can do what it wants. Instead of whining about
> it shouldn't a new standard format (not owned by anybody/developed by a
> non profit group) be developed? Didn't the same happen with BSD?

As a matter of fact a new standard /was/ developed. It is the PNG
(Portable Network Graphics) Format.

pallav
Anthony's Law of Force : Don't Force it, Get a bigger Hammer.
Pallav Nawani        |    Visit me at                              |
F-46,                |  http://www.angelfire.com/co/pallav         |
PIN 560012           |                                             |
Phone : 3092625      |                                             |