Re: Which NIC

On Tue, 30 May 2000, Jhon Dalton wrote:

->Hi friends,
->
->I stay in India.  I am trying to install linux on same hard drive with
->windows.  I have NE2000 compatible networking card but that seems to be not
->working with linux, because linux is not able to detect it, but this is
->working fine with windows.

AFAIK almost all the ne2000 cards work fine in linux.  find out whether your
card is ISA, ISA/PNP or PCI card. find out the io address, if you know the
irq it is fine otherwise no problems. Choose the appropriate module, ne for
ISA cards, and ne2k-pci for the PCI cards. If the card is ISA/PNP you have
to run pnpdump to create the file /etc/isapnp.conf, and then edit
appropriately to choose and activate the card. Read the man pages of isapnp.

Which distro are you using?

->
->Now I am going to purchase another card.  So please tell me for which card i
->should go for. Please tell me the name of the card which is good and 100 %
->compatible with Linux, and is cheap and readily available at Bombay.

You can go for a pci ne2000 compatible card of any make, Dlink is no problem.
But if the earlier card is pci there is not point in bying one more. Make it
working by proper configuration.  for more help you have to tell your distro.

Nagarjuna