Re: Formal Member Registration

My 2c worth (late as usual):

--- Arun Sharma <adsharma@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I contribute to an OS, not because of some "movement", but because
> I like doing something and if it can help others, so be it.
  .
  .
  .
> To summarize, by all means, have an ILUG, have meetings, talk about
> Linux. You can do all that without thinking that you're brothers and
> sisters or revolutionary soldiers in the same army.

I have to admit that I use Linux for the same reason, that and the fact
that I dislike the way use of M$'s products (some of which are very
good) limits my choices. I don't think all software should be GPLed.

However, I think the moment I discussed how to inform people of Linux
with other Linux users I became part of a "movement". It certainly
wasn't a company, a corporation, a co-operative, an association or an
organisation. What can you call it other than a "movement" or
"community" ? I don't think being a part of the Linux community forces
you to subscribe to the political views of the most vocal section of
it.

I don't think rejecting the GPL forces one to reject the concept of
community. The very fact that you posted your opinions to this list
makes you a member of the very community you reject. If you think that
the Linux Community is being hijacked by GPLites, stand up and
represent those members (like me) who aren't interested in politics
muddying technical issues.

> I'm just expressing my opinion. Free speech. No force.
And I have to give you credit for the non-imflammatory manner in which
you expressed yourself.

regards,

Biju

=====