Re: Formal Member Registration

On Sun, 28 May 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> To summarize, by all means, have an ILUG, have meetings, talk about
> Linux. You can do all that without thinking that you're brothers and
> sisters or revolutionary soldiers in the same army. Remember, if the
> programmer isn't happy, you get crappy software.

Hmmm, Arun, you seem to miss something. I hate to do this, but at times
like this, an examples like this (told to me by my father decades ago,
when I was a kid growing up in Germany) are warranted:

Remember Swami Vivekananda's first speech in the USA? He was the last to
speak, and when he started, he said "Brothers and Sisters of America" and
brought the house down. He got everyone's attention, and no one forgot him
or what he had to say.

While you guys there in the USA are clearly shying away from this kind of
"relationship building", it is something that plays a major role back home
here in India. When people feel that they belong together, they work
better together, and achieve more. There is nothing wrong with using this
approach - even when it comes to Linux.

As I have often said before - Linux is something beyond just an OS or a
kernel (they way *you* present it). It is in many ways a figurehead, a
rallying point - and if bonding in the name of Linux helps wake up the
Windows-enslaved IT world in India, so be it.

Rather than knocking it, it would help a lot if you would support it. This
is, after all, Linux India.

Atul

p.s. BTW - I too read that issue of Linux Journal, and my impressions are
markedly different, but since that is subject to personal interpretation
("what you want to see" vsersus "what you really see"), there is no point
debating it.