Re: Formal Member Registration

Hi Arun,

I agree with Atul that Linux is a movement and Linux lovers a
community.  You made the point yourself: no one calls X users a
community or X a movement.  However, there are qualities which
characterise people who run Linux because they prefer to run it (not
including corporates who're just using it because it's the best
solution for their problems):

- Most are sold to the idea of free software, GNU, GPL, etc.  As you
said yourself in an earlier mail, you aren't, so you dropped out of
the community.  Fair enough.

- Most are passionately concerned with issues dealing with the privacy
of individuals.

- Most are willing to spend time, money and energy promoting and
advocating their beliefs.  MS users don't do that, for instance.

- Most are concerned about and willing to act on issues of big
business trying to stifle perceived competition.  E.g DeCSS, Amazon's
new patents, etc.

- Most read UserFriendly ;-)

This is what I could think about off the top of my head, but even this
makes it pretty clear that there is a movement, and the people in that
movement do form a community.  The same principles applied to the BBS
culture in India 6-8 years ago, where each BBS'er found it comfortable
to interact with other members of the community, even if s/he didn't
know the other from Adam (Eve).  In fact, the origins could probably
be found in the dope-smoking hippie culture of the 1960's.
Unfortunately the hippies managed to dope themselves out of existence,
which this particular movement seems to be growing all the time.

I can agree with your dropping out of the community, but that doesn't
give you the right to claim that there is no community at all.  It
exists, it's strong and it's growing.

Regards,

-- Raju