Re:

On Thu, 25 May 2000, Devdas Bhagat wrote:

> Plus the fact that I have to clean up the to field every time I hit
> I generally reply to the list, rarely to the sender. If I want to reply
> to the original poster individually, I can select him individually.

I need to point out that if one wants to follow one person's opinion (in
this case the "reply-to is harmful"), one would also have to take the
responsibility of making sure that everyone sticks to the rules - it
becomes a list-admin issue, since it is the list-admin's decision that
causes this.

Every post I have made to this list that has received a reply has resulted
in duplicate messages - one in my inbox, one to the list. I have
complained several times, but after a while, the offenders slip back to
being too lazy to take a moment to clean up the address.

Virtually every reply on this list, if examined, will show multiple
addressees - direct to the original poster, and to the list.

While it is all good and fine to have a personal opinion or to subscribe
to a (little-followed) philosophy - if people consistently complain about
it, then one should consider the greater good.

I vote for a default correct reply-to. And I do not agree with the
philosophy of "reply-to is harmful". That is just one person's opinion.
Before such an arbitrary rule is dumped on people, it would have been nice
to ask the subscribers if they agree to it.

Majordomo2 is a recent phenomenon - the default-no-replyto was there
form the beginning of LIG - there was no option then.

I do not receive duplicate messages because *I* have reply-to set, I
receive duplicates because *others* haven't.

Atul