Re: [LIP] Browser

[Moving to LIG.  Cc-ing Ravikant.  Is he also in LIG?]

"Ravikant K.Rao" proclaimed:
>         As for JavaScript/Java Applets -- its a purely personal Choice
> .. this browser thing... you should really be using what you want/are
> comfortable with -- *I* personally don't dabble with frames/java
> script -- infact, so much so is my aversion to all this that I refuse
> to look at any page that is lynx-incompatible. Read the article by ESR
> where he says/advocates all this with reasons/backing --

ESR also happens to use JavaScript in his pages. When I emailed him
pointing out this apparent contradiction he weasled out by saying that
since JavaScript was accepted as a standard (ECMAScript), it was fine to
use JS on pages.

JS is actually a *very useful* scripting language from the perspective of
web site developers.  It is also widely used (50-times more widelly than
VBScript, for example) than any other scripting language on the client
side.

JS was developed and manitained by some of the best brains in the industry
(Brendan Eich, Mike Shaver etc.)

> Lynx is *NOT* a memory hog

Agree.  But many many sites look crappy on it.  You'd have to scroll down
at least one page in a regular xterm window before you can actually see
your results on Yahoo.  Lynx has its uses.  But let us not exclusively say
that it is the beginning and end of browsing.

Trivia: Did you guys know that the original developer of Lynx (Lou
Montulli?) joined the NSCA gang to form Netscape Communications?

> -- what do you do on a console ? Run Netscape ?

How many people work on a pure console?  You might have a single telnet
window open on your WinDOS box.  Or you might be ssh-ed into another Linux
box from your Linux box.  The thing to note is that in both cases, you have
access to the Netscape that is installed on the local machine.

> Well... *shrug* --
> truthfully, a real system administrator should be able to compose/read
> emails with just a telnet client, work full-time on a console,

A *real* sys admin should be able to read an email talking POP / IMAP to a
server. ;-)

> Another notable thing is when people switch to
> OpenBSD if ever they do -- I don't know how FreeBSD works here -- they
> notice that they dont have the bash <TAB> complete ... and begin
> bitching about it...

Judging by their prefernece of shell (bash), I suspect that these are those
damn rabid GNU/Linux zealots raised on a staple of RedHat or Debian.  My
understanding was that in the *BSD world *csh was the preferred shell.

Thaths
--
Marge: Can we get rid of this Ayatollah T-shirt?  Khomeini died years ago.
Homer: But, Marge!  It works on _any_ Ayatollah: Ayatollah Nakhbadeh,