Re: Re: Linux India Knowledge Base

On Mon, 20 Mar 2000, Arun Sharma wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 12:38:55AM +0530, Atul Chitnis wrote:
> > I don't want to be a wet blanket here, but I was more interested in mining
> > information out of the archives of LIH, rather than writing the stuff all
> > over again.
> >
> > Or are we to assume that whatever appears in LIH in terms of answers is
> > history? In that case I find nothing wrong with dropping out of LIH.
>
> How about just linking to specific articles in the LIH archives ? I don't
> sense a whole lot of enthusiasm here for digging answers out of LIH.

Arun - unless we make use of information that exists in the LIH archives,
we are rendering LIH meaningless.

Sure the job will be difficult and painful, but it needs to be done. A
site created by a few people who provide answers is of no interest to me
from the community point of view.

If we orphan LIH, people providing answers there will not have the sense
of belonging that they *would* get if they knew that if they provide a
correct, well-thought out answer, it will automatically become part of the
FAQ section of the new site.

While it will be easy to start this process with new messages flowing
through LIH, it would be decidedly unfair to people who have provided
answers in the past (including people like me).

There must be a close visible link between LIH and the FAQ section, else
this exercise is pointless. I know from experience that once the initial
enthusiasm wanes (about a week or two down the line), the FAQ section will
go completely static.

What we need is a mechanism by which we can tag messages for inclusion in
the FAQ. Then we use this mechanism for both archived and new messages.

Atul