Re: Please share your linux experiences....

On Fri, 17 Mar 2000, Robin Chatterjee wrote:

> Atul -why not do something about it rather than just moan .....
> for example your current message has no information content at all about linux
> in india ...

Asking me to "do something about it rather than just moan" is about as
insensitive as one can get. This is the first time in half a decade that
anyone has ever accused me of doing nothing when it comes to Linux.

I have been battling to get people to discuss Linux here rather than their
own personal pet peeves, but am getting nowhere. You complaint about no
one replying to you underlines this issue.

All the replies I got to my complaint basically tried to justify their
stands by saying that "xxxx is related to Linux" (replace xxxx with your
personal pet peeve).

When I got involved with these lists, I was hoping for more than just
headless chicken running around in circles. I was hoping for discussions
about people *doing* something to spread the word and getting more people
involved. Instead, all I see is messages about script kiddies or someone's
interpretation of some license or the other. If it isn't that, they play
pseudo administrator, while the real admins sit on their hands and even
encourage non-Linux discussions.

I believe that I (in my personal capacity) have been (and am) doing my bit
for wider adoption of Linux in India.

But this list isn't. And LIH is running in circles doing the "SiS 6xxx"
dance.

If it isn't Linux, I am not here. My "mission" (if one can call that) is
spreading Linux, NOT saving mailing lists from themselves. I encourage
people to get involved. But one can only lead a horse to the water - one
can't make it drink.

Atul

p.s. The reason why no one replied to your message is probably because no
one noticed it in the flood of off-topic messages. I sure didn't - there
is so little Linux content here that I am not very interested in reading
this list on a priority basis.