Re: Re: Please share your linux experiences....

Hi,

Atul Chitnis typed:
> When I got involved with these lists, I was hoping for more than just
> headless chicken running around in circles. I was hoping for discussions
> about people *doing* something to spread the word and getting more people
> involved. Instead, all I see is messages about script kiddies or someone's
> interpretation of some license or the other. If it isn't that, they play
> pseudo administrator, while the real admins sit on their hands and even
> encourage non-Linux discussions.

I don't understand what you have against the licensing discussions.
They, IMHO, definitely belong in LIG. They are definitely pertinent to
Linux, and they are definitely helping the Linux India community.
Suppose I write some software tomorrow, and am wondering what to
license my code under - I will surely look through every single
message of all the licensing threads which have taken place here - and
they will help me make my decision. I don't think you are justified in
saying that they are detrimental to promoting the use of Linux in
India.

> I believe that I (in my personal capacity) have been (and am) doing my bit
> for wider adoption of Linux in India.
> But this list isn't. And LIH is running in circles doing the "SiS 6xxx"
> dance.

The name "linux-india-help" itself suggests that LIH is a forum where
people can put forward queries, and other considerate people answer
them, thus promoting Linux in India. If most of the problems are with
"SiS 6xxx" cards, then there's not a thing anybody can do about it. If
you say "SiS users go to hell" or other similar remarks, you are
actually *demoting* the use of Linux in India.

I fail to understand the point in your statement that LIH is doing the
SiS dance. What kind of messages do you expect from a help mailing
list? Doing the SiS dance is neither the fault of the SiS card owners,
and nor is it the fault of the kind souls who answer with "refer the
archives", because all they are doing is helping somebody use Linux
better, (promoting the use of Linux in India), which is the sole
purpose of LI-Help. Tell me, what is your ideal picture of the LIH
mailing list?

> If it isn't Linux, I am not here.

If queries regarding hardware which is not supported under Linux, are
not `Linux' then what is?

LIG, is linux-india-general, which is for topics which are in some way
related to Linux. If licensing issues are not Linux (general), then
what is?

> My "mission" (if one can call that) is spreading Linux, NOT saving
> mailing lists from themselves. I encourage people to get involved.
> But one can only lead a horse to the water - one can't make it
> drink.

A large percentage of your messages in the recent past have been pure
cribs about the mailing lists, about the quality of messages, about
not sticking to Linux.. whatever. Your quitting LI (now LIH) just
because of ``such discussions'' itself shows that you don't care too
much for the Linux India community - as in helping out people on the
mailing list who have genuine problems. If you don't like those
dicussions, junk them to /dev/null! Don't send a ton of messages just
to crib about `certain people' carrying on `certain discussions' which
you don't particularly care for.

Don't mistake me here - my interests are not trollish, if you feel it
is, feel free to ignore this post.

--
Mrinal Kalakrishnan <mrinal@xxxxxxxxx> (PGP:B1E86F5B) http://listen.to/mrinal
- - - - = ( Redhat Linux 6.1 ) = - - - - = ( Kernel 2.2.12-20 ) = - - - -