My experiments with linux (wasList Charter)

Well then why don't we ask all members on the LIG list to write in with
their personal experiences in getting/trying to get linux adopted in their
workplace/business ?
For example here at TCS calcutta we ran our online screening tests on
software called veda which was running on linux . Problem was the software
was guaranteed to work with redhat 5.2 , hence management wanted us to run
it on 5.2 at a time when 6.0 was on the market - what happened  ? One of
the boxes was cracked at IIT kharagpur and they managed to crash the system
- even though all unnecessary services were stopped. That caused us to lose
face / also made problems for us ardent linux advocates.

Currently we have at least three official installations. One in our
Internet solutions group for testing on apache,
one in our systems software group for testing purposes and general
keera(r&d :) )
And one running as a server for an intranet application that we developed
using apache/mysql/php3.
We also have at least two unofficial linux dual boots :)
Distros are redhat 6.1,suse and mandrake 7.0
I 've also got winlinux, and corel linux on cd but haven't tried them out
yet...

By the way all opinions expressed by me are my own and do not represent
those of my company or any other party ( statutory declaration)

So lets hear who you folks have to say....
Raj what's the sgi scene ?
Khader ( if present ?) what's the IBM scene

Others lets have some real linux discussions - what issues have you faced
in getting your companies to ride the linux bandwagon ?

By the way since in most of TCS s/w projects we give the clients the
sources to the applications we develop for them would that be a sort of
open-sourcing ? Somewhat on the lines of BSD ? or probably even freer ?

Comments anyone ?

Cheerio

Robin

Atul Chitnis wrote:

> On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Raj Mathur wrote:
>
> > However, I also must admit that licensing discussions aren't without
> > their interesting side ;-)
>
> If it is interesting, it needs a forum - so do we need a
> linux-india-licensing, with a "you need to beg for membership" clause?
>
> ;-)
>
> Atul

_END_
Robin S Chatterjee Yahoo pager ID -Robinchatterjee
mailto:robinsc@xxxxxxxxx
mailto:robins_chatterjee@xxxxxxxxxxxx
FAX 1-(815)550-6171
Robin's Poetry Pages