Re: My experiments with linux (wasList Charter)

On Thu, Mar 09, 2000 at 09:53:30AM +0530, Robin Chatterjee wrote:
> For example here at TCS calcutta we ran our online screening tests on
> software called veda which was running on linux .

Is that some kind of a network security package ?

> Problem was the software
> was guaranteed to work with redhat 5.2 , hence management wanted us to run
> it on 5.2 at a time when 6.0 was on the market - what happened  ?

The problem is that the management believes security is a product. As
someone famously said - security is a process, not a product.

> By the way since in most of TCS s/w projects we give the clients the
> sources to the applications we develop for them would that be a sort of
> open-sourcing ? Somewhat on the lines of BSD ? or probably even freer ?

My understanding of TCS (and similar companies') business model is that
you write code and give it to the client in exchange for money. So the
client really owns the code and it's really up to them to open source
it or not.

BSD is a lot different. Anyone can do anything with the code, as long
as the copyright is maintained and you don't sue the authors for the
code having crashed your computer.

	-Arun