Re: vsnl refuses smtp relay and linux box at home suffers

I had raised this issue on LIG sometime back. VSNL wants people to
_pay_ (Rs. 600 annually) if they  have to send mail using some other
"MAIL FROM:" address.

They sent a mail to all subscribers saying that people have
been "unfairly" using VSNL SMTP servers to send mails, while using the
email services of other firms like Yahoo, Hotmail etc. So they have
asked such subscribers to send mails through the SMTP services of
these webmail providers. Their claim is such "foreign" traffic is
hurting the interests of their clients who loyally use the VSNL email
addresses for sending mail.

Apparently, VSNL has also submitted major chunks of it's dialup IPs to
the DUL list. These lists ensures that direct-to-MX mail from dialups
as mentioned by Rajat are as much prevented from sending mails as the RBL lists
are. Thankfully, as Suresh pointed out, very few sites are using DUL
lists for stopping SPAM.

The weird thing is that even if we use VSNL addresses for sending
mails, we still have as much outgoing traffic as before, cause people
will still have to send mails. So how much of this decision is for
"actual suffering" of it's "genuine" subscribers, or how much it is
for the money that they hope to make out of their v-mail services, is
to be seen.

- Sandip

Apparently VSNL and NetCracker are both using these restrictions.