Re: FW: Partitioning problem!!

Hi Puneet,

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 10:48:27AM +0530, Puneet Parashar wrote:
> I did create (or rather tried to create) the swap partition as of Linux
> Swap type. The error i received was "no primary".
> I beleive that the problem is because of the number of primary
> partitions that you can create ( i am not sure if that is fixed) but
> fdisk allows you a number between 1-4 for primary partitions. Now i have
> a Win2K partition as "1", an extended partition as "2", and a logical
> Win2K partition as "5". that leaves only two more partitons in
> primary... 3 & 4. So does that means that i cant create different swap,
> root and boot partitions? (very hard to beleive!). this is why probably
> i receive the error "no primary".
>
> Can you please suggest a solution to this.

Ok I think I locked in on you problem now. Your 'extended' partition contains
ONLY hda5 i.e. the HPFS/NTFS partition. and you must have been trying to create
boot, swap and root as primaries. There is no need to do that.

Just make the /boot primary first (n followed by p in fdisk), the others can
be logical (n followed by l).

And yes there can be a maximum of 4 primary partitions. Usually, one of these
is created as an extended partition which acts as a container for further
logical partitions.

> how do i specify the mount points?

After you finish creating the partitions in fdisk, write the partition table by
pressing w and then q to quit out of fdisk. Now when you press 'Next' to go to
the next step in the installer, you will be prompted to select the mount points.

--
Cheerio!

  ,_,   Vipul Mathur
 (O,O)  <vipul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>      http://www.vipulmathur.org/
 (   )  <vipul@xxxxxxxxxx>     "The Geek shall inherit the Earth"-Linus 5:5
The use of anthropomorphic terminology when dealing with computing systems
is a symptom of professional immaturity.
		-- Edsger Dijkstra