Using multiple kernels with same version

Hi!

I have this peculiar need to have multiple kernels of the same
version, say 2.4.8 with different things compiled in. Ofcourse, they
would have different sets of modules too.

How do I use the same kernel source to make two different kernel
zones. I mean ofcourse I can make the kernels different, but
insmod/modprobe should be looking up different /lib/modules/xxxx
directories for the modules. Normally, for the same version, insmod
tends to lookup the same /lib/modules/<kernel-version> directory.

How do distros like redhat do their 2.4.8-2, 2.4.8-3 stuff. Is it by
modifying /usr/src/linux/include/linux/version.h or more??

- Sandip

--
Sandip Bhattacharya