User authentication problem!!

Hi Everyone,

a friend of mine has the following query:

" I am running apache webserver on RH linux and its working fine. I need
to configure it in a way   that when i hit the default page it has to
prompt me a user and pwd. (i.e) , only valid users are   allowed to
browse the site. Also i want to configure it in such a way, that if user
A logs in, the
 default pageA should open and if  user B logs in, the page should be
default page B. "

I am not sure but can we use access.conf to tackle the former part of
the problem. or is it that we require an authentication/ authorization
system (like tacacs) here.

Any comments are most welcome. Please help.

Regds,
Puneet