Re: linux for kids

This is a subject that those of us involved with Sarai have also been discussing, from a slightly different angle. Many of us are dissatisfied with the manner in which computer education takes place. As Seymour Papert put it, ""Digital technology in the workplace requires a new definition of "basic skills". The transformation of work requires much more than a mastery of a fixed curriculum inherited from past centuries. Success in the slowly changing worlds of past centuries came from being able to do well what you were taught to do. Success in the rapidly changing world of the future depends on being able to do well what you were not taught to do."

Teachers talking down from a podium is hardly the right model for teaching IT, and I would suggest, not the way most of us learnt how to program. Can we find a better way? One in which students, after a short introduction get integrated into project teams that work on international collaborative projects a la sourceforge? An approach that teaches people how to use discussion lists, etc as a means of giving and getting help?

We discussed this at a recent lug meet at Sarai -- can we find a new way to train poor kids in IT? This is not a theoretical discussion -- the idea is to actually start such a training institute soon.

Oh, and by the way, those interested in offering Linux-related summer courses, do please get in touch.

Arun