Re: updating the kernel?

Hi,
> My system currently has 2.2.18 and I wish to upgrade to the most recent
one
> without reinstalling the whole system and with least downtime.  I don't
have
> physical access to my system.
don't upgrade the kernel of a remote system unless u hav a major security
issue or if u need the kernel just for the new features. If u wan't to jump
to the 2.4 series kernel, then u might be better off by having a new system
set up and then transfering all the data to the new system, and then after
the transfer is over, decomission the old system. Otherwise if u just wan't
to keep in the 2.2 series, then don't do an upgrade. I don't think that the
newer 2.2 kernels hav any major security fix!

    It is always tricky to set up a new kernel, esp if u r doing this
remotely. And for any remote server if downtime is imp, then never do it.
Not unless u know what u wan't and u r sure that there is going to be some
knowledgeable staff at your hosting/colocation centre who can select a
different kernel to boot in case anything goes wrong during a reboot. I
always get a new system if things like glibc or kernel need any major
changes. And then do a reinstall on the new system.

    I wud also suggest that for any future remote servers, either install
red-hat or debian. RedHat is good for the variety of software that u can
find as rpms, and debian has probably the best method of upgrading packages.
In fact if u r comfortable with debian then always install it on remote
servers.

Bye,