DRI and ATI 128 M3 Mobility

Hi

Does anyone have a laptop with an ati M3 mobility graphics chip? If you
have DRI working I would like to hear from you :)

I have tried various combinations of kernels and XFree86 4 versions, but
nothing has worked so far.

I feel I have come close on two occasions. With kernel 2.2.18 and Xfree86
4.01e, opengl apps used to lock up the system momentarily and die with the
error "Rage 128 timed out .. exiting". I read somewhere that using an
external monitor might work. It wasn't in the context of this error
though. Unfortunately I don't have a monitor.

With kernel 2.4.0 and Xfree86 4.02, every opengl app just dumps core. On
every other occasion, opengl apps run without hardware acceleration. I
updated my copy of XFree86 from the cvs repository last week and it doesnt
even build anymore. Actually it compiles fine but dies in the middle of a
`make install'.

Right now my system is a horrible mess with all sorts of versions of
XFree86 libs. That might explain the core dumps. I need to clear up the
mess sometime. I really dont know where to start. I got stuff that I built
and stuff from the debs.

I have a dell inspiron 4000 laptop with ati 128 M3 mobility graphics,
XFree86 4.02 and the 2.2.18 and 2.4.0 kernels and Debian Woody.

What hurts the most is that all the opengl apps like 3d games and
screensavers (like sproingies) run flawlessly on windows :(

TIA :)
Anmol