NO dialtone

Hi all,
I have been trying to get my linux box connected to the internet.

i have tried
1. the Gnome dialup configurator
2. the KDE Kppp
3. dip

The message i get is 'No Dialtone' where as my telephone line is working perfectly because I connect thru the same line, modem and machine using Windows 97 to the internet.

I would appreciate any suggestions as to the reasons for 'No Dialtone'.
Actually on using the dip commands ' dip -t -v' and dialing my isp number 172404 ( netcracker ) i get the modem to sound the dialing but then it just turns up the no dial tone.

regards
andrew